July 17, 2010

Happy 1st Birthday Carter!

Wow, has it already been a whole year!?!? Our baby is 1! Right now I am filled with so many emotions. This little boy has brought so much joy to our family..we are so grateful he is ours! A year ago we were on the biggest roller coaster of our lives.....I go into labor and Dan is out of town and I am scared (kind of), Carter arrives and is beautiful and I am so thrilled he is a healthy boy, he starts doing this weird twitching and I am worried, he goes down to the NICU and they wait for his heart rate to stabilize so they can transfer him to PCH and I am the most scared I have ever been in my life. I feel helpless. I feel like I am in a bad dream. I pray and pray. We get to PCH and I am trying to keep up with the ambulance people as they wheel him into the NICU but it is hard for me to walk fast since I just had a c-section. I refused to leave my baby's side. Dan has to go home and tell the boys their new baby brother is sick and cant come home yet- I think we were both feeling very sad and a little angry at this. Carter undergoes a lot of tests that called for a lot of poking and prodding- it hurts to see your baby suffer through this. Again, I feel so helpless. The wait to know what was wrong with our baby was torture...I'm thinking the worst. Good friends meet us at the hospital and we received much needed blessings. My worry is eased, a little. We find out what happened to Carter and a plan is made to make our baby well again. Carter is our little miracle (all children are). Doctors told us that when he starts to move, his right side would drag. The right side of his face would sag. He would be slow at speech, etc. etc. We needed to work hard and get Carter's brain to make new "pathways" so these things would not be so profound. So, since we have been home from the hospital, Carter has been in therapy three times a week. He is not behind at all...he is actually ahead of most (thanks to his 4 big brothers)! Walking at 10 months old, without the "drag". He is a happy little Mommas boy. He knows who his family and friends are and he loves them! This last week he graduated from physical therapy! This is the FIRST time his therapist has been able to discharge a baby. Carter has done so well. He will be discharged from feeding therapy this next week. This situation could have been much worse and I am reminded of how precious our little ones are. I am so grateful that I get to be a mother to 5 fabulous boys! Thank you to our family and friends who love us and support us. I don't think I could have made it this last year without your support.
Happy Birthday sweet Carter! I love you






This little monkey is a climber! He is constantly keeping me on my toes!


!

8 comments:

Tara said...

He has the best smile in the whole world! Happy birthday, Carter!

Briannon said...

I cant believe my God Brother is already 1!!! It makes me sad and happy at the same time! Cant wait to celebrate with him!!!

*JULIA* said...

He is the cutest GodSon ever!! I am soo excited to take him to ahso thursday and celebrate. I can't believe how you count the shrimp sauce there as his babyfood. I'm glad he loves it though. See ya Thursday Carter!

Krista said...

Happy Birthday Carter!! He's so flippin' cute!!

Jilly Bean said...

Holy cow, Julianne! I had no idea your cute little guy had such challenges to start out. What a little trooper he is. Happy birthday to him and to you!!

Liz said...

Happy birthday Carter! It is awesome to see his cute pictures! Congrats little man!

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

I can't believe how fast he has grown. He is a precious darling little guy!

Kayleigh said...

This is such an awesome success story!! No one would ever guess he had a rough start!